Saturday, August 12, 2006

Yesterday

As I was driving home from my parents' house in another little town, I was admiring the sunset and the perfect glow it shed on the world. I started to think about what I really wanted. Moments like this always remind me of the things in life that I still want, but do not have. I thought about how nice it would be to live in a small town, hanging out on the back patio of my house, grilling for a few friends, having a few drinks, relaxing and talking about our lives. My shoes would be kicked off, wearing only a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, and hair tied back.

Right now I live in an apartment surrounded by other apartment dwellers. Not exactly the life I want for myself. But I am not worried, because I will get there soon. This time next year I will be talking about my new house and how my friends are a bunch of loons. Patience gets its reward, as my grandmother used to say.

My kid had a great time at my parents' house. Went fishing and caught a bass so big that it broke the line when my dad tried to pick it up to put it in a net. School starts on Monday. My kid is really excited, well, I guess I am a little more excited. Remember middle school? It was so much fun. How cool was it to have your own locker? Way cool.

No comments: