Saturday, March 14, 2015

It's A GREAT Day!

It was a great morning.  I got to bed at a decent hour last night and slept in until 9!  I needed it.  I feel so much better today.

I got up and put the coffee on.  I do love a good cup of coffee!



The Kid was home this morning so I made us some breakfast - scrambled eggs and biscuits.


We do love our butter and jelly on biscuits.  We use the Land O Lakes whipped butter and Welch's Concord Grape Jelly, two of my favorites.  Whipped butter is the only thing I buy for table use because a little goes a long way.   I purchase stick butter for baking.  The eggs turned out perfect.  We only eat cage free eggs and I don't mind paying 50 cents extra for them.

I have almost everything ready to go for this evening's GrillFest!  Here's what is on the menu:
-  Sterling Silver ribeyes seasoned with Daddy Hinkle's seasoning and marinade
-  Warm potato salad with green onions, bacon and cheese throughout
-  Baked beans with ground beef and extra brown sugar
-  Crock pot corn - cream cheese, butter and a touch of sugar
-  My AWESOME salad full of mixed greens, veggies and fruit
-  Rolls
-  And a big chocolate pudding cake!

I am feeding a total of 10 people.  It's going to be great and I am so happy to do it for my friend Rose and her family.  It's one less meal they have to worry about and today is all about fun and relaxing!  No talking about cancer when I get there.

I also have a big surprise for Rose that I have been planning with her youngest daughter.  Rose and her husband are going to Kansas City with two of their daughters to talk to a cancer surgeon, just to see if there is any hope.  They have never been up that way and after talking to the youngest daughter, they were worried about the trip.  I told her not to worry about anything and to let me help out.  Sooooo.....

I arranged and paid for a rental car, paid for two hotel rooms at HI, got them gift cards to eat at the Cheesecake Factory at the Plaza, got them a $50 gift card for gas and will give them $50 in cash for tolls and lunch on the way home Monday.  I told the youngest daughter I even printed out directions to every single place so they wouldn't get lost (it was all close to the major highway).  She started to cry, which made me cry.  It made me feel good to do something for them.  I don't want them to have to worry about expenses when they are already so worried about Rose.  Besides, I would have just spent the money on clothes or something I don't need.  This is for a good cause.

It's a great day!  Hope you are all having a great weekend!  I'll catch up with all of you this evening.

Laters.

2 comments:

happyone said...

What a kind and thoughtful thing to do. : )
A wonderful friend!!

Enjoy all that good food tonight.

austere said...

What a superbly GOOD thing to do...go go go abbagirl!