Tuesday, December 26, 2006

It Was A Fast Christmas

Okay, so I worked until 12:30 in the afternoon on Christmas Eve. I went home to do laundry and wrap gifts. I was not going to get my kid until 1:00 on Christmas. We ended up going to Josh's aunt and uncle's house in Colwich. They have a huge house south of town and share a dirt road with two other houses. It's quite a beautiful home.

We arrived home around 8:30 and Josh decided to go to a poker game with his brother in Park City. He didn't get home until 3:45 in the morning.

I got up on Christmas around 8 and started to clean up. I packed the kid's bag for the week he would spend at grandma's and grandpa's house. I got everything ready and we loaded up the truckload of gifts. We went to pick up the kid at his aunt's house (I can't stand her). He gets to the truck and has no coat. I asked his dad where his coat was. He left it at his job. Great! This is one of the reasons why I left his dad. Totally irresponsible.

We get to my parent's house around 3. We all sit around and make my kid wait until 6 to open gifts. Wow. Talk about an abundance of gifts. It was totally overwhelming for me. My son was very well behaved and thanked each family member for the gifts he received. Because he made out so well, we decided that we would take some of his old toys and donate them to the children's home. He takes really good care of his things, so we wouldn't be giving away junk. His last gift came as a surprise. He thought he was done, but my brother told him to close his eyes, as there was another gift for him that could not be wrapped. My brother placed the golf clubs in front of my kid and he opened his eyes. He stood up and all he could do was grin. I asked him if I got the right kind and color. Of course. Who's the best mom in the world? Uh yeah, that would be me.

It was also my nephew's first Christmas (he's 8 month's old). I went overboard with him as well. My parent's thought I spent too much money, but how many times do I get to see my nephew's first Christmas? My sister received a beautiful photo album from her fiance' which contained pictures of her pregnancy and birth. It also had the first pictures of my nephew when he was born till now. My sister started bawling. It was such a wonderful gift. Her fiance' is always doing things like that. They don't have much money, so he is very creative with his gifts. I was moved to tears and I was bawling when I was taping the whole thing.

We go into the kitchen to eat dinner. I didn't have to cook this time. My mom made the traditional pork roast that we have every year with mashed potatoes, homemade pork dressing, cream cheese corn, gravy, and garlic bread. Dessert consisted of pecan and apple pie and the lime chiffon dessert that I brought. It was a great dinner.

Josh and I left around 8 to head back. I fell asleep ten minutes before we got home. I was so tired.

I got up and went in to work today, only to find out that I would not get my Thursday and Friday off this week. I was told to go ahead and take today off.

Want to know what's for dinner? Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, steamed carrots, and apple pie. The apple pie is not homemade. Just didn't have time.

Well, this post is extra long. Oh wait. I forgot to mention what I received for Christmas. Knowing I love to cook, my family hooked me up. I received a white Kitchen Aid mixer, very nice silverware, and some china. I have been wanting that mixer for a couple of months now. I won't use it until I move.

Talk to all of you more tomorrow...


Cheryl said...

I'm so glad you sent an extra long post. It was good to catch up. It sounds like you had a great Christmas. Enjoy your day off!

austere said...

That was reallllllllly nice and long. I went weepy too,at the taping.but wow.

becky said...

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas! All that for Josh and a KitchenAid. How fun!

Hope your day off was restful. I read today's post and it sounds like you've got more stuff coming down the pike at you. Hang in there!