Monday, November 27, 2006

Home For the Holidays

Okay, so I want to set up the scenario for you of what it is like in my parents' house during the holidays. The family consists of my mom, dad, sister, brother, and myself. My mom is Korean and my dad is from Ohio, which would totally explain the obsession for Ohio State University.

Anyway, my mom is about 5'4" and about 100 pounds soaking wet. She has jet black hair that fall around her shoulders and the biggest black/brown eyes I have ever seen. My kid has chocolate eyes just like hers. My dad is about 5'10" and weighs about 150. He has snow white hair, full head of it I should add (my brother is totally thankful for that). He has what we call the "family nose". He kind of looks like a mix between Steve Martin and Fonzi from Happy Days. Yeah, I got a hot dad.

My sister is about 5'8" and weighs about 150. She would probably also like me to note that she just had a baby (7 months ago). She has dyed, black hair to look like my mom's. She has the "perfect nose" and she loves to roll her eyes. She would kill me if I told all of you, but one ear sticks out more than the other. hehe

My brother is my favorite out of the family. He is 27 and graduating from Kansas State University this December with a degree in Business. He is 6'0" and weighs about 160. He has brown hair and is a cutie. He has a great personality, always thinking of others. He is pretty quiet sometimes and doesn't like people making a fuss over him. He has been with his girlfriend for over six years. He chooses not to live with her until they are married to respect her parents. He has not popped the question as of yet.

So, you get all of us in a room, and well... it's loud. My dad is hard of hearing. My mom talks really loud (Korean people usually do to compete over each other when speaking). My dad sits in the recliner with the remote control and as we are talking, the tele is getting louder. Then we proceed to get louder as we talk. Pretty soon, when everyone is catching a breath, the tele will be blaring with some stupid commercial for Wal-Mart or something.

It's quite funny when I come home. My parents will occasionally buy groceries at Wal-Mart and I will find it when I stay. Once they gave me a bottled water that had Sam's Choice on it. I wouldn't drink it. They know that I boycott Wal-mart and that I refuse to eat anything that comes from there. I have made them feel guilty for shopping there and so they don't do it very often.

We were all home for Thanksgiving. My sister had her baby and the daddy over, my brother brought his girlfriend, and I brought my son and Josh. It was a little crowded. There were not a bunch of leftovers, mostly dessert. Crazy, huh?

My parents gave up their bedroom for us, my brother slept in his own room, and my parents slept in the guest quarters. My sister lives in town, so she went home every night. Our nights were filled with playing card games and watching endless hours of football.

We stayed from Wednesday until Sunday. I was actually glad to leave. All of us in the same proximity was getting to me. I am quite independent. But I had a wonderful time being with family. It was great.

7 comments:

austere said...

:)
Nephew and all, huh?
With your descripions it sounded like one were actually meeting them- thanks!

Michael C said...

Sounds like a fun and fairly intimate family gathering. My thanksgivings always consist of no less than 40 people and is always done buffet style followed my a mad dash to find a spot at one of the too few tables ;-)

SKQBDOO said...

I can totally relate. My whole family came to my house from Wed. to Saturday; we had a great time, but I was more than ready for everyone to head home. 4 hours away is our closest family and because of that we have become very independent. Now everyone is gone, my house is trashed and I am here to try and get everything back in order....hmmmm. guess this is what my mom has felt like all these years.

kanadians in korea said...

excellent descriptions. i can picture everyone... i totally relate to being independent and not being able to handle too much family -- and yet needing them so desperately at the same time.

Marie-Hélène Raletz said...

I'm not a family type. I'm always fascinated to see family gatherings from a safe distance :)
I've been intrigued by the bit about Wal-Mart (we don't have any in France) and I'm curious as to the boycott's reasons.
Great post!
Marie

PipeTobacco said...

Abbagirl:

I am glad you were able to go home and be with your family during Thanksgiving. Your family sounds very nice. A few specific comments:

1. Bravo for your stance on WalMart. They are a truly evil empire for our nation.

2. Your brother may be happy about your father's full head of hair, but unfortunately that will not mean much in terms of his own follicular growth. Baldness is inherited primairly via the maternal genes. Because of this, the best indicator of hair loss or maintainence as one ages is to look at the hair patterns of your maternal uncles. If they are bald, it is very likely your brother will also become bald. If they have receeding hair lines, the same is likely to befall your brother.

As always, a wonderful post! Thank you.

PipeTobacco

Billy said...

Unfortunately, my mom is an only child. Guess he will have to "wait and see".