Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Ode' To The Meloncutter on Valentine's Day!

Hullo! Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. I have been super busy since I got back from my trip. Rich asked how I was going to handle the improvements in our perishables. Well, I think it all starts off with what type of clientele you have. In Kansas, it is all about comfort foods. Beef and pork are big items here, so obviously our meat departments should be fresh and the quality excellent. I feel like we are already there. One place we need to improve on is the deli and bakery. The deli fresh salad case could definitely use some sprucing up. I go into some stores and all I see are ten different type of potato salads. Ugh. How about something fresh and green for a change? We will definitely be putting the stores through some salad training. In the bakery, I would like to see more hand decorated items instead of all of the previously frozen crap that comes in. Produce is all about freshness and organics. Organics are huge right now. We have to capitalize on that. Okay, enough about work. Hope this explains it a bit, Rich. Thanks for asking and paying attention ;).

Speaking of produce, I would like to dedicate this post on Valentine's Day to the Meloncutter (see link to the right). Today is Valentine's Day and in honor of the Meloncutter, I hand dipped

800 long stem Driscoll strawberries!!!

Yes, I knew that when I went in today, I would be doing this in honor of the Meloncutter and all of the bullshit he had to put up with today. You see, he has a wonderful job of catering to customers, most of them old biddies who want their mark-down vegetables. So, a salute to you, Mr. Produce Man! I am sorry I could not come to your store to do this for you. By the way, we sold almost all of them at $9.99 lb. Yeah, how do you like them berries?

Happy Valentine's Day to All!!!

8 comments:

Ryan said...

Hi, and happy valentines day to you. just one question, maybe i would know if i read more of your past entries, but what exactly do you do for work? i get that you work for some sort of grocery store or chain, but i would like to know more, sounds interresting.

Anonymous said...

800 hand-dipped strawberries. You rock, girl.

After that, I don't suppose strawberries were on your valentine's list...

I'm home from work and raising a glass to you. Happy V-day!

captain corky said...

Happy Valentines Day! I wish I had half of your work ethic. ;)

Terri said...

I love chocolate covered stawberries - yum!

Cheryl said...

Sounds like you had a busy day and I know a lot of people were happy with their hand-dipped strawberries. Did anyone do anything special for you?

Unknown said...

LOL Thank You. It's sad but believe it or not, we have not been able to get strawberries in our division for several days now. I spent the last 4 days with not a single berry available to me. I could not even get them off the farmers market. I think the strawberry suppliers are shipping them all out west where people will pay more for them.

Thanks for the Valentine dedication

Later Y'all

Anonymous said...

Ironically people still talk about the tuxedo strawberries I had at my wedding two years ago. Ha, ha, ha.

Tuxedo strawberries -one layer white chocolate dipped side-to-side, then a thick layer of dark chocolate dipped side-to-side, while still leaving the edge of the white to show, making a "Tuxedo".

Happy V-day "Charlie Bell"
-P

austere said...

To you too, abbagirl!
these strawberries and proxima's too, sound delicious!