Sunday, July 16, 2006

Sunday Mornings

Sunday mornings are not what they use to be. Growing up in a small town, about one mile from town actually, it was so different. Back then, I didn't have to worry about work, responsibilities, the everyday go, go, go. I remember every Sunday waking up and helping my mom cook breakfast. It was always the same breakfast every Sunday: Pillsbury Grands Biscuits, bacon, sausage, and scrambled eggs. I would be in charge of getting the biscuits and setting the table. In my family we would sit on the floor around a black lacquered table. This is usually how Koreans eat. It was funny when we brought friends home and they would comment on the things that we did that weren't "American". For example, you take your shoes off before coming into the house and we always sat on the floor to eat, play cards, etc.

Anyway, back to my Sunday. This is the first Sunday I have not had to work an 8-15 hour day. I am going to pick up my mail from my home store and read what's going on in our division. Then I am going to clean my apartment. It totally needs it. There won't be any breakfast to cook, because now I skip breakfast entirely, unless I am at my parents' house for the weekend.

As I write this, I wonder about what my kid will remember when he is my age. It will be funny later in life to hear it. Sundays are truly the best day. People can relax before starting the mundane 9 to 5. I guess I got lucky this week. Hooray.

No comments: