Sunday, May 06, 2007

More Storms

Thank you so much for all of the well wishes and prayers. However, we are not out of the woods yet. Wichita has not really been affected by the line of storms coming through, but Greensburg has. My parents live in Great Bend, and they are now facing major flooding. If you have watched CNN or the Weather Channel, you will see pictures of major flooding in the down town Great Bend area.

Meloncutter was right. If you are having trouble locating Greensburg, all you have to do is Google - largest hand dug well. Greensburg will pop right up. It seems as though the well made it through, but the whole entire town is gone.

I was suppose to be there today to help clear out some things from one of our stores. However, that won't be happening because of the rain and more storms headed that way.

I am worried about my parents' house. They live on the southwest end of town. Fortunately, they have not had any tornadic activity close to home, but the water is now up to the driveway. My parents are fearful that rain will be coming into the house. It has been raining non-stop for two days now. They have received 12+ inches. Please keep them in your thoughts.

There have been many questions about tornadoes. First, we are warned by some awesome Doppler radar equipment. Sirens and weather alert radios are used to warn the citizens when a twister is headed there way. The folks in Greensburg were given a 30-45 minute warning. The advanced technology was able to make sure that a tornado was probably going to be produced, and was able to warn the townspeople well in advance. Three years ago, we would have seen many more deaths. The tornado occurred in the evening when visibility is impossible. People rely on the tornado sirens and the weather alert radios. It can get really scary. I have been involved in three tornadoes. None of which did any extensive damage.

I have to head off to work. We are organizing a Greensburg Disaster Relief Drive. Food, water, cash donations, etc. are what they are needing. There are still 100+ people in the various shelters. Keep these people and rescue teams in your thoughts. and prayers.

5 comments:

SpringMist said...

I hope everything will be ok and your parents are safe. I saw the news just now and was horrified at the damage in Kansas.
Stay safe n out of harm's way.
My prayers are with u n ur family.
Frm fellow blogger, Kyrie.

austere said...

Prayers.
My thoughts are with you and your parents.

Cheryl said...

Thanks for taking the time to post. Your parents will be in my prayers. I have CNN on right now, and it's unbelievable.

kanadians in korea said...

wow billie... i'm so sorry. i'm definitely praying. there's a really encouraging story in the bible -- matthew 8:23-27, where Jesus calms the storms. i would encourage you to read that. i will be praying he calms your storms. and thank you so much for your encouraging comment on my article; i actually DO write for a living lol. love you! em.

Terri said...

Wow, this is terrible, I've been so preoccupied with my weekend and our good weather that I had no idea this was going on...I hope things are looking better this Mon morning.