Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A Sprinkle In Time

I step outside and the hot sticky air takes my breath away. Instant perspiration hits my forehead and trickles down the side of my face. The humidity is so thick in the air, making life around me struggle to breath. Not a breeze anywhere to be found.
I get into the comfort of my car and modern air conditioning. Ah, it feels so much better. I take my turn on the road, my space among all of these cars as I buzz along to the next store. Clouds are looming in the south. Dark, voluptuous clouds filled with moisture. Soon, I see a drop here, a drop there on my bug display for a windshield. Before too long, angry fat drops of rain pound down on me, making that DIT, DIT, DIT sound. The sound is deafening and I can't hear my ABBA CD. Rain, rain, rain, continues to pour. Then, as soon as it started, it ends. I roll the windows down in my car. The air is the same, still hot and sticky. The nourishment of water from the heavens could not take it away. Within minutes, the signs of the rainstorm vanish. The only thing left is a cleaner windshield.

9 comments:

Sally said...

Wasn't it nicer today...a little cooler and not as humid...if only it could last!

Andrew said...

I love it when you stretch your wings and fly as far as your writing goes. I hope you have a great day and thanks for sharing this little bit of written blis with us.

SpringMist said...

Beautifully written! I love it.
Enjoy your meal tonight!

Cheryl said...

No rain here, just teases. Just enough to make marks on the dusty windshield. Thankfully the humidity has been low. It's been an unusual summer so far. Much better weather than usual. Yes!

Andfre said...

Great descriptiveness!
I can’t survive in that kind of humidity. 17 years living in the mountains with its cool nights and dry days has spoiled me. Almost nobody here has A/C in their homes although offices and schools do. Even some of the better hotels lack A/C, really there is only a few weeks a year hot enough. But I wish I would have taken that option in my car... a black car with no A/C can get pretty toasty even here and really so when I leave the protection of the mountains. If I ever come to visit KC I'd better go in the fall or spring.

Anonymous said...

There is something to be said for increased visibility, though.

Jamie said...

I agree...quite beautifully written. Don't you just love a rain storm/no matter how brief or unproductive it may be?

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

WOW! That was an amazing post!!
I really enjoyed it!
Thank you very much for sharing with all of us.
Always,
Crusty~

austere said...

Great post. Very little rain and high humidity here too.