Friday, June 15, 2007

Beauty and the Beast

I spent some time in my miniature garden this morning. Adding more dirt around the bases of some of my vegetable plants, as last night's rain storm washed a little away. I am sure I have not planted these correctly. My tomato plants have several little green tomatoes on it. Around 15 I believe. I inhaled the aromas of fresh vegetable foliage, eyes closed. The smell of vine tomatoes always brings memories of my grandfather. He was a man who had the greenest thumb I know. He had a garden that was half an acre. Beautiful memories from my childhood came from garden time. I can envision him working with his hand trowel and wheel barrow. Harvesting time was the best time. I miss him.

It's getting humid out there. As I stood on my front porch and looked up into my large maple tree, I felt relaxed. The cool green color of the beautiful leaves with the chocolate brown background of the wood makes for a serene visual. This same beautiful tree will be my biggest headache come fall. When those green leaves turn a burning gold, orange and red, it will be sure to capture the eyes of all residents and passersby. They will "ooh" and "aah" at the beauty of it. I will look at the tree the same way until I see the first leaf fall. Then I will be cussing under my breath about all of the leaves I will have to rake up. Beauty and the Beast.

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love the smell of tomato plants. It's great that you have those memories. I'm envious.

LOL about the leaves to rake. I'm laughing with you cause it's the same for me. It takes me all winter and part of spring to get them raked up. It's still spring, right? Cause I'm not done. They're all off the 'lawn' (if you can call it that, just still in the strand of trees.

Thank you for all your comments. I told Emily to look at them.

Cheryl said...

PS...I know you're meeting Annabel this weekend. You must be excited. Can't wait to hear about it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for memories. I didn't plant a garden this year because of the severe drought. It's just too dry to keep a garden alive along with the water restrictions.

Keep your chin up at work. It will get better. Because it can't get any worse. LOL. I tell myself that every day.

Later Y'all

captain corky said...

My great grandfather used to make really strong wine. I wish he had tought me how to do it.

I'm glad you got sometime to enjoy yourself outside of Kroger.

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful scene. I've neglected my gardens again this year. By next year I'll have to start from scratch, I think.

Last year I planted 2 tomato plants and got 3 tomatos. Squirrels, apparently. Who knew.

Annabel said...

I'm here! We made it in a little after six. We're going to eat this evening and then tomorrow we're going to church and then to register for the tournament. We'll have lots of down time tomorrow so I'll call you when I know my schedule and we'll plan a day and time to meet. I can't wait!

Portia said...

awesome post. i envy those with the green thumbs:)

austere said...

Do put up a picture, for the fall one. Must be beautiful.