Thursday, June 22, 2006

Perception is Reality





I have been told before that perception is reality. Is that true? This is so true if you have an opinion all of the time. The problem- those of us who have an opinion about everyone, whether we know that person or not. You know who you are. You watch someone walk by who may not have all of their teeth or you see someone who isn't wearing shoes. I know what you are thinking, because I have thought the same thing. White trash. But does it occur to us what that person has gone through, the hardships they have endured? Absolutely not. We are only worried about how they look and are flabbergasted that they would be out in public like that. It goes that way for all people, all races, all stereotypes, all of us.

I will be the first to admit that I am one of those shallow people. I thought at first that I couldn't help it, that it was just human nature. And maybe it is human nature. But it isn't humane. People have stories, they have backgrounds and hardships. Who are we to judge anyone before taking a look at ourselves? We are only average, where some people may have been through something that made them a better person, that makes them unique.

I am not saying that I won't ever perceive someone by their looks or actions, but I sure as hell will be more conscious about doing so. To each his own. Teeth or no teeth.

4 comments:

Karin's Korner said...

What a great blog, very humbling. I will be the first to admit that when I saw the picture you have on this, I thought EWWWW the more I read the harder it got to be a ewww thing. Thank you, everyone should take a look in a mirror sometimes and wonder, what if?

Jim said...

Yes you have a great blog, very much so. Real.

I was born with genetically bad teeth, has gotten any better, I am very self-conscious about it, they are abnormal and I feel like not talking, maybe that is why I use the blogs, lol.

Thanks for your post. It helps.

Unknown said...

Nice concept. I am guilty of being shallow sometimes, too.

Anonymous said...

We live in a world where selfishness and hardness of heart abounds. _ Sometimes, it takes a wake-up call in the form of adversity, to drive a person to his / her senses.