Thursday, June 01, 2006

Best Friends - Do They Exist?


My advice to all single females out there who have guys as a best friend- be prepared to get your heart broken by them also. I have always been closer to guys than I have to girls because they aren't as shallow or fickle as most females tend to be. However, I have yet to find a guy best friend where the friendship was - what's the word I'm looking for? Not perfect, maybe manageable.
I recently noticed my best friend have peculiar behavior lately (thank you women's intuition!). This guy pal has told me numerous times that he plans to be single for a long time, that he doesn't have time for a girlfriend, blah, blah, blah. The guy has not had a girlfriend in the whole five years I have known him, so why wouldn't or shouldn't I believe him? HE'S A GUY! That's why. I finally asked him outright about it. Like I said, he's been acting peculiar lately.
Anyway, I asked if he was seeing anyone, and he says maybe. MAYBE? Okay, where was I when you decided you were even interested in anyone? My God, I was starting to think this guy was gay. His reply was that everyone didn't need to be interested in what he does. Are you kidding me? We are GOOD friends, and he forgets to leave out this certain detail that I give him shit about constantly?
Okay, so why am I so upset? Because he didn't tell me? Because he should have shared it with me? Because now I am not the girl in his life. When you think that he cares enough about you and says he trusts you, and then he doesn't follow through on the important stuff like a new girl in the picture, it hurts.
Why? Because I am not "that girl" anymore. You know, the girl that was getting most of the attention. I have just lost out to the "other girl". And yes ladies, we have all been there before. You know what happens to the "friend" when another female comes into the picture. "Old friend" who?
What's a girl to do?

Girl will probably attend my best friend's wedding. This sucks- because now I am the shallow and fickle one.

3 comments:

Jim said...

What do you think, can a male and a female, near same age, have a platonic relationship?

sereneannabelle said...

actually...it's ok for a guy and girl to have platonic relationships. the problem only arises when one party of the couple gets jealous - that's when everything will change.

Do not feel petty or jealous, just feel that it's a normal thing to happen. Even girlfriends distance when they are involved in their own partners. And even as a friend, do not be possessive - what i mean is that some ppl chose to keep important things to themselves and you should respect that. Be a good friend. An understanding friend. Not a jealous one. =)

Anonymous said...

actually...it's ok for a guy and girl to have platonic relationships. the problem only arises when one party of the couple gets jealous - that's when everything will change.

Do not feel petty or jealous, just feel that it's a normal thing tresting thing is the commentary was in chinese!
Hmm. we chinese should all start listening to chinese commentaries.
have you ever felt that english commentators were monotone, except for the times when it was close to a goal?
eh, the chinese commentator was even more excited than i was. his favourism towards England was extremely evident and i heard