Friday, August 14, 2009

Vacation - Day Three and Four

Okay, so we arrived in Fostoria around 7:30 p.m. We had to wait for my uncle to get there because my grandparents' house was locked up and he had the key. My uncle ran up town to get some pizza for us so we wouldn't have to worry about dinner.

While we waited for him to get there, we walked around the two acres of land the house was on. My uncle decided to put up the traditional vegetable garden. When my grandfather was alive, he was a true home grown gardener. He could grow any kind of vegetable and had the most beautiful flower gardens in the neighborhood. I wish I had a picture to show you, but I was so exhausted from driving the whole 11 1/2 hours that I forgot. Yes, I drove the whole way. I am must like my dad. He drives a tanker and has driven trucks his whole life since he was a teenager in the Army. I can drive for hours and hours. I love it.

So, we settled in, ate pizza, talked to my aunt and uncle, then went to bed. The kid got to sleep in this little twin bed that I used to have to sleep in when I was a little kid. It was soooooo weird seeing him in that bed when it used to be mine as a kid. All of the grand kids have had to sleep in that little bed from one time or another. It brings back such great memories of our summer vacations there. Here is the bed. This is actually how the Kid sleeps sometimes. Weird, huh?

On Sunday, we headed up to the store and bought lots of groceries since we were staying for a week. When we returned home, I made hot Italian sub sandwiches for everyone at lunch. For dinner I made my famous oven fried chicken breasts with garlic mashed potatoes and green bean/onion saute. The family loved it! My aunt, uncle and cousin (Chuck Norris) loved it. My kid is a Chuck Norris joke fanatic and thought my cousin looked like him, thus came the nick name Chuck. It's one of those "had to be there" moments.

Anyway, the family brought over lawn darts and we were all outside playing and having fun. No television, no Internet, and barely any bars on my cellular phone. I had to drive into town to get any phone service. Now that is a real vacation!

Monday morning came quickly and I made breakfast for everyone. Biscuits with butter and jelly, fluffy scrambled eggs and hickory smoked bacon. Uh yeah, no leftovers for that meal! Josh, my brother, the Kid and I all got packed and left for Cincinnati around 9 a.m. We decided to go to a Reds game Monday night and stay the night in Cincinnati. We would travel to Columbus on Tuesday morning.

When we got to Cincinnati, we headed to the Great American Ball Park and bought our tickets for the game that night against the Cubs. There were so many Cubs fans in town. That's all we saw that afternoon. We then headed over the river and through the woods to Newport, Kentucky. We had ice cream at Graeter's and headed for the shops. It was a beautiful day, as you can see from the picture I took of my brother, the Kid and Josh. After walking around and looking at all of the shops, we decided to check into our hotel and grab an early dinner. We had dinner at the Machine Room at the ball park. It was pretty good. The Kid got the usual, a bacon cheeseburger and fries.

The Reds lost that night, but we had a great time. The crowd was lively and a home run was hit right into our seats. We didn't catch it though because we left 30 minutes before it happened. We saw it on the highlights back at the hotel. The kid was upset about it, but soon got over it. We were all so tired! I slept great that night.

Stay tuned.... our visit to Columbus to visit my cousin and the OSU campus will be the next post.

1 comment:

Terri said...

no skyline chili???