Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Much Needed and Deserved Weekend!

Okay, so don't be mad at me! But I did not take any pictures of my trip out of town. I brought the camera, but totally forgot about any pictures. I was having too much fun! We left Friday after picking up the kid from school. We arrived in KC around 6 and checked into our hotel. We had dinner at Minsky's downtown with the same family members from our Ohio trip, except my friend Deb came down to spend the weekend with us.

After Minsky's, Deb and I went to Savvy's coffee and wine bar in the power and light district. We then headed to the Cosentino's downtown market to pick up a few things. I crashed as soon as we went to the hotel.

Saturday we got up early and ate breakfast at the Corner Cafe in Riverside, MO. This is a place we always visit when we get a chance. They have the best biscuits and gravy! After breakfast, we headed to the City Market in downtown KC. I love going here and looking at all of the fresh food stands and shops. People come from everywhere to show off there fresh fruits and veggies in hopes patrons will buy everything. It's a foodie wonderland!

Deb and I headed back to the hotel for rest and relaxation while my brother, Josh and the kid headed out to play some golf. Boys! I found out that the kid rammed the golf cart into a tree, luckily no damage to himself or the cart. Let's say the driving privileges were taken away immediately!

After taking a nap, Deb and I headed down to the Plaza. I don't know. There just wasn't much to see. Everything is overpriced and there weren't very many people there for a Saturday. Must be the economy. After the Plaza we all had dinner at Bristol's in the Power and Light District. The place is okay. The food is way overpriced and my salmon came out raw. It still did not looked cooked the second time around. I did get a free dessert out of it though. I couldn't believe how much people pay for those small meals. You can buy your own fresh seafood from your local grocery and prepare it at home for loads less than what they were charging. It was ridiculous.

Deb and I headed to the store after dinner to get our supplies for the potato salad and tomato/cucumber salad for the game on Sunday. We headed back to the hotel and prepared everything for the next day. I also packed up all of our things and got it ready so we could leave bright and early. It was nice staying in the penthouse suite at the Marriott for two days. I wouldn't mind staying there again.

We got up early on Sunday and were out the door by 6:15. We met at one house and drove to the stadium. We got there around 7:15 and of course had to wait at the gates to get in. My friend Deb was amazed at how many people go so early just to wait around for the gates to open. After we got parked, we started grilling. The ribeyes were delicious and our salads hit the spot. After the food part was done, Deb and I got out of there. We had an entire day of shopping ahead of us. Yep, I did not go to the game. I gave my ticket to my brother and decided to go shopping. We went to Legends mall and I spent about about $300 of my $500 allowance. I spent the rest of my money at another store downtown. I did not spend it all on myself. I always think of my kid and bought him two t-shirts at Urban Outfitters and two pairs of jeans from the Buckle. He totally liked everything I bought. I would like to think I have good taste. He agrees.

I dropped Deb off at her car around 2 and waited for everyone to get back from the game. I hung out at the City Market area for about an hour and then met up with the family. We headed straight home. I was pooped, but so glad I was able to spend time with family and friends this weekend. I needed it!

7 comments:

austere said...

Loved your Asian-style approach to food- always cheaper and fresher when you make your own food!

Why do they call it Power and Light district?

Leann said...

It sounds like you had an absolutely fantastic weekend and I'm glad you were able to relax in your own way :-)

P.S. I'm drooling over the tomato and cucumber salad :-)

Diva's Thoughts said...

Sounds like a really great weekend!

Cheryl said...

Sounds like you packed so much into your weekend. Fun! And the penthouse? I'd be happy there too.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time. And a great BREAK, which of course, you deserve and need.

pax

Jamie said...

That sounds like a perfectly awesome and tiring weekend. I hope this weekend you take some time to rest...hugs, friend! :)

Seth M. Ward said...

WHO WON THE GAME!?! lol Sounds like good times. I could use some of those.